Search This Blog

Saturday, August 21, 2010

The Value of Education

My husband and I have talked about this issue a lot. Sometimes it seems to me, based on our own experiences and those of our friends, that a college degree ain’t all it’s cracked up to be.
Education is an incredibly valuable experience that makes your interior life better. We are no doubt about that. An educated person is more introspective, more interested in the world, more interesting to talk to. But, in today’s economy it’s questionable whether it’s something everyone should aspire to. 
Is a bachelor’s degree still worth the cost both in financial terms and in time? I guess the answer to some degree is, that depends on your degree.
When I went to college, I was told by so many people that it didn’t matter what you majored in. The important thing was to get a college degree, and that told employers that you were “trainable,” and basically smart enough to work for them.
Having since graduated and seen so many of my friends struggle, I wonder if that validation of trainability is really worth more than the experience you would have built up had you just gone straight into the workforce out of high school.
I’m a big fan of tech schools and the idea of apprenticeships. I think that education in the liberal arts is incredibly important, but not necessarily a ticket into the world of the gainfully employed. I think in many way it would make more sense for people to pursue the liberal arts on their own and through community courses instead of paying massive amount of money to focus four or more years on it.
I also think that if fewer people got a four-year degree, the degree would once again have a value in the employment world. 
This morning I heard on NPR the story about the big class action suit against “for profit” colleges. You know, like the University of Phoenix and other “colleges” you see advertised on billboards and on TV. There was this sob story about a woman who went $75,000 in debt to get a degree at one of these school and now she can only find a job working retail at $10 an hour. Well let me tell you something, I went to a public university with a good reputation. I got, what I consider, an excellent education in journalism, and you want to know something? My first job in that field paid $10.30 an hour as the starting salary. Was it worth it for me to invest all that (admittedly parent-provided) money to make that kind of salary? If I had gotten a job as a bank teller right out of college, would I have become a manger by the end of those four years? It’s possible. On the other hand, I learned an incredible skill that not many people have. I get enjoyment out of writing, and I can still make a few bucks here or there doing freelance.
My husband got a master’s in philosophy. He attributes his conversion to his studies and feels that his view on the world is so much clearer because the challenge of his degree forced him to sharpen his brain. But he couldn’t get a job delivering mail or even driving a truck if he wanted to. He doesn’t have those skill sets.
So the question remains: Is the life value you receive from a college degree worth the financial burden you get with it? I still haven’t decided on the answer, but it’s something that haunts me frequently. I have two children and hope to have more. Right now, there is no way we would be able to pay for their college degree. What will I say when my son tells me he plans on majoring in the arts? Will I tell him it’s a waste of time and money, or let him take the risk and see what fruits his works will bear?

1 comment:

  1. Karen -- A college degree today isn't what it used to be 50 years ago .. or even 100 years ago. What's being taught today is so completely different. A liberal arts degree (the original college degree) was intended to make you a better person -- not just funnel you into some career. Today, college is, for the most part, all about a career and the question remains -- is it necessary? What did you gain from your 4-5 years at college learning how to be a journalist that you could not have learned on your own by working your way up from a small start up paper or tv station? I think colleges should return to their purpose of providing a liberal arts education -- which is really all about forming a person -- rather than providing a career. Some areas do require the extra education -- medicine, engineering, etc... But I think a person going into Human Resources can probably gain just as much, and more experience, by starting out by paying their dues working at the start up position of a small company. College degrees today are inflated and don't have any value anymore. And you have to remember -- where is God in all of this? What is his plan for me? You may want to pursue writing and have a career, but is that what God wants for you? Brad may want to become a lawyer b/c the money for a more stable family life will be there -- but is that what God wants him to do with the talents He has given him? Perhaps His plan is to remain poor for the rest of your life and to have you let go of our "dreams" ... I know my goals and desires have changed drastically since becoming a mother and practicing Catholic. It's not necessarily a matter of letting go of dreams because they are unattainable ... but realizing those dreams have nothing to do with your sanctity. Living poor and dependent on people and God is a very humble way to live. I read a line recently from a sermon that has become my prayer and mantra when I find myself getting frustrated with my reality: Happiness won't be found in getting what you want ... but in wanting what you get. Peace -- Janice

    ReplyDelete